On the 24th July 1897 we find the first recorded mention of a Golf Course at Leslie in the Fifeshire Advertiser.
It was some time later that year that a steering committee was formed to investigate the possibility. It was with so many different properties and conflicting interest to reconcile it was doubtful if a suitable ground could be found. However in 21st February 1898 it was reported by Mr. Charles Anderson that Tom Morris had inspected the course Balquhoumrie and expressed himself satisfied with the course shown to him, and he had laid out the putting greens as well as giving instruction for the completion of the course.
On 1st March 1898 at a General Meeting with Mr. Charles Anderson in the chair a Club was formed and named THE LESLIE GOLF CLUB as laid out by Tom Morris who was granted Honorary membership at a meeting on 22nd June
In 1901 after some financial difficulties and problem with distance from Leslie it was agreed to get a course nearer Leslie. A special committee was formed to try and secure a more suitable place. Land for the purpose was then rented from Messer’s Gavin Haggart and the clubhouse was moved to the new course on the 4th March 1902.
In the same year 1902 Lady Members were admitted and accorded the same playing privileges as the men.
Charles Anderson was the main driving force behind the club and became the first President of the club and Tom Morris was a personal friend. He was also credited with design and patenting of the Hole Cutter. The Anderson trophy is still played for today.
The war years resulted in some greens being fenced off to allow grazing due to a grass shortage.
In 1921 the question of more clubhouse accommodation was considered and a draft plan for proposed addition was submitted, it was agreed that the club revert back to original grazing terms and this meant fences could be sold and proceeds go towards a new clubhouse.
In 1922 the Constitution of the Club was revised and the club joined the Scottish Golf Union.
On the 29th May 1925 The Leslie Golf Club realized the height of their ambition when the new pavilion was opened after the call to members for donations to cover the additional costs of £150!!
At an AGM in October 1938 the Ladies became members of the Ladies Golf Union.
A year later it was agreed to extend the courtesy of the course to members of the armed forces billeted in the town. The war had caused problems regarding revenue but it was agreed to keep going.
In 1946 Mr Haggart agreed as tenant to allow golf on a Sunday and this was voted in to allow play from 1.0pm.
Leslie Golf Club had many successful years as Central Fife Golf Union champions. In 1958 all day play on a Sunday was agreed by .Mr. Haggart and Leslie won the CFGU League. In a match played at Leslie in 1960 against a CFGU select Leslie triumphed and also won the League again and again in 1961.The club was to win the League several more times in 1963, 1965 and 1966
In 1969 a long term lease was negotiated after some concern over the future of the club. Twenty years later in 1989 a meeting was held to purchase the golf course and then build a new clubhouse.
In 1994 a decision was made to halt any work in progress for new clubhouse and extend the present clubhouse.
Mr. Charles Anderson